New program PVS-Studio 3.00 released July 27, 2009!
We are glad to introduce a new software by OOO "Program Verification Systems" named PVS-Studio (PVS is an abbreviation of our company's name). PVS-Studio is a static code analyzer intended for simplifying development of modern applications in C and C++ languages. PVS-Studio unites the preceding developments of the company (software products Viva64 and VivaMP) into one solution. Everything that has been performed by the two tools (Viva64 and VivaMP) before is now performed by one PVS-Studio tool.
PVS-Studio is a new static code analyzer by OOO "Program Verification Systems" designed for developers of modern resource-intensive applications. PVS-Studio combines the possibilities of 64-bit code analysis from Viva64 program and parallel code analysis from VivaMP program, and lets develop, test, perform migration and verification and of course create applications in C and C++ languages at a high level of reliability.
Two code analyzers are included in PVS-Studio:
- Viva64, designed for development and migration of 64- bit applications;
- VivaMP, designed for verification of parallel programs created on OpenMP technology basis.
PVS-Studio lets detect the following bug types in the source code of programs in C and C++ languages:
- Errors of 32-bit applications migration to 64-bit systems;
- Errors occurring during new 64-bit applications development;
- Non-optimal use of memory in 64-bit programs due to alignment peculiarities;
- Errors in parallel programs connected with lack of knowledge of OpenMP technology syntax;
- Errors in parallel programs connected with lack of knowledge of code paralleling laws using OpenMP;
- Errors occurring due to incorrect work with memory in parallel code (unguarded access to common memory, lack of synchronization, incorrect mode of access to variables, etc.).
PVS-Studio code analyzer is necessary if you:
- Develop new 64-bit applications;
- Carry out 32-bit code migration to 64-bit systems;
- Add support of parallel execution to your program with the help of OpenMP technology.
At present PVS-Studio software product contains two code analyzers. The first one is intended for simplifying development of 64-bit applications and also reducing the cost of migration of obsolete 32-bit code on a new platform. Earlier this was a separate tool Viva64. The second code analyzer is intended for simplifying development of parallel programs using OpenMP technology. Earlier it was VivaMP product.
Thus, our two products Viva64 and VivaMP will be distributed as a single tool kit of code analysis tools under the name of PVS-Studio. Moreover, we have composed the PVS-Studio licensing conditions so that you can purchase both separate code analysis units and the whole tool at once. Licenses are intended for single developers and for teams of 1-5 persons.
PVS-Studio product differs from Viva64 and VivaMP in that it allows you to:
- perform code analysis in several threads;
- conveniently and quickly operate the filters of diagnostic messages and error codes;
- launch analysis in batch mode (you need to prepare command files);
PVS-Studio is a logical development and continuation of the line of Viva64 and VivaMP products we have decided not to reset numbering of the product's versions. That's why the version to be released will have number 3.00.
You can find the full list of changes in the version history, and here are the main enhancements implemented in PVS-Studio 3.00:
- Software products Viva64 and VivaMP are united into one program complex PVS-Studio.
- The new version is a significantly upgraded software product.
- Operation of the unit of integration into Visual Studio is much more stable.
- Operation rate in multi-processor systems is increased: analysis is performed in several threads.
- A possibility to operate the analyzer from the command line is added.
- It became more simple, convenient and quick to operate diagnosis of separate errors. Now you can enable and disable the function of showing separate errors in the analysis' results.
- Operating with error filters has been improved greatly. Filters for hiding some messages are now defined simply as a list of strings.
- Change of licensing policy. Although PVS-Studio is a single product, we provide licensing both for separate analysis units such as Viva64 and VivaMP and for all the units together. Besides, there are licenses for one user or for a team of developers.
- Support of localized versions of Visual Studio has been improved greatly.
- Help system for a new version of PVS-Studio integrating into MSDN has been modified and improved greatly.
- Graphic design of the software product has been improved. New icons and graphics in the installer make the analyzer's appearance more beautiful.
PVS-Studio program is a code analyzer aimed at solving topical problems of up-to-date programming.